Aviator Quilt, Debbie Major
Dark Olive / Burnt Orange
This one-of-a-kind reversible garment is part of a collection celebrating the multifaceted collaboration between British fashion brand Marfa Stance and the quiltmakers of Gee’s Bend, in partnership with London’s iconic Royal Academy of Arts.SHOP Marfa Stance x ROYAL ACADEMY
By transforming surplus luxury fabrics - including cashmere, wool and fly-weight nylon - from Marfa Stance production in Italy, into wearable works of art, these garments generate valuable income for the community.
Continuing the Gee's Bend ethos of artisanship, this piece has been crafted by our factory partners in Italy, bringing the spirit of collaborative craftsmanship from around the world into one original garment. Featuring a unique front panel that’s been hand-finished in rich-coloured fabrics by Gee’s Bend quilter Debbie Major, this fully reversible Aviator Quilt combines the finest surplus nappa leather and shearling with original artwork.
• Unique quilted front panel created by Gees Bend artisan Debbie Major
• Fully reversible with functioning pockets on both sides
• Made from nappa finished ethically sourced Italian shearling
• Sleeves and back panels made from 100% water-repellent Italian and Japanese nylons’
• All seams are bound and buttonholes reinforced in nappa leather to increase robustness against every day wear
• Filled with a lightweight, lofty and durable polyester wadding for minimum weight and maximum insulation
• Hand finished shiny metal centre front zip
• Garment comes with Aviator Collar
• Specialist leather dry clean only
The full collaboration and new collection of artworks can be viewed online, as well as in person at the Royal Academy. The seven reversible quilts will be on view in The Academicians’ Room in The Keeper’s House, Burlington House, and the five framed quilts and three wearable art pieces will be in the Burlington Gardens Shop.
From Friday 13th March – 14th August 2023
Royal Academy of Arts
The Academicians’ Room
The Keeper’s House